The Ready Treat is a remote-controlled reward system that uses positive reinforcement for training behaviors. Using an hand-held infrared remote, you control when the dog receives his reward. Because the Ready Treat is a single-reward dispenser, it gives you the flexibility to use any type of treat in it: roast beef, cheese, liver, or whatever your dog loves. Place the unit where you want to use it, push a button to turn it on, load the treat compartment, close the door, and you're ready for action. The dog will not be able to remove the treat until you activate the remote to open the door to the treat compartment. With fresh batteries (not included), the remote transmitter works up to 50' indoors and 25' outdoors*.
Because the remote is infrared rather than operating on a radio frequency, you can use multiple Ready Treats at the same time. One remote will work for all of them; just point the remote directly at the unit you want to open and hold down the transmitter button until the treat compartment door opens. Best of all, the Ready Treat is small enough to go where you go. The base unit is only 4.5"W x 4.75"L x 2.125"H and weighs just over 7 oz. The treat compartment is 1"W x 2"L x 1"D.
You'll find many uses for the Ready Treat. In agility, we've found it useful for
- Teaching independent weave pole performance and encouraging the dog to drive through the poles to the end
- Teaching independent contact performance, keeping forward focus on the contacts even if you move away laterally or fall behind
- Rewarding start lines from a distance
- Rewarding distance work and sends
- Using as a distraction/reward for dogs that get distracted looking for dropped treats on the ground
- Remedial work with dogs that have learned to run watching their handler's hand for treats
*The degree of sunlight and the position of the Ready Treat reative to the sun plays a large part in the distance range of the remote. In the early evening or on a cloudy day, the transmitter will have a greater range than it will in bright midday sun.
Your Ready Treat training system will contain:
- Hand-held remote control runs that on 2 AAA batteries (not included).
- Food-dispensing base unit that runs on 3 AAA batteries (not included).