Subtitle: Mastering the Art & Science of Modern Dog Training
Author: Pamela Dennison, CDBC
Length: 223 pages
Release Date: 2015
What do science and art have to do with dog training? The science teaches you the nuances of how dogs learn. The art helps you to be more clear and inventive if your dog doesn't quite understand what you want. In You CAN Train Your Dog, you will learn about breaking down behaviors using a positive, proactive approach which is a big part of the modern process of dog training.
Step-by-step instructions will help make what may seem insurmountable into something much simpler. This book will take you through it all:
- Modern Training Fundamentals: covers training basics
- 10 Myths of Positive Training Dispelled
- Are You Listening to What Your Dog Is Telling You?: discusses calming signals and signs of stress
- The ABCs of Learning: covers principles of operant conditioning, classical conditioning, etc.
- Foundation Skills: discusses learned behaviors and how to teach sit, down, and stand as well as the first stage of come
- Verbal and Whistle Recall: goes into the specifics of teaching the recall
- Animal husbandry: step-by-step instructions for teaching important behaviors like "collar", petting and handling, brushing, and touching, "Settle"
- Loose Leash Walking: includes instructions for loose leash walking and building an outdoor relationship as well as moving backups, pivot to heel, heeling games, automatic sit, call to front, and more
- Teaching the Stays: instructions for sit, down, and stand stay, door etiquette, waiting for dinner, go to your mat, and more
- Slots, Soda and Hawaii: Reinforcements: discusses reinforcements schedules and variety
- Manipulation Modern Style: The Premack Principle
- What If My Dog Makes a Mistake
- Positive Solutions to "Bad" Behavior: includes solutions for barking, nipping and mouthing, stealing, jumping up, etc.
- Side Effects of Punishment
- Incorporating Training into Your Life
- The Canine Good Citizen Test
You can purchase this E-Book in your choice of the following formats:
- EPUB: This file works on the Nook, iPad, iPhone, Droid phones and tablets, Sony Bookreader, and other e-reader devices.
- MOBI: This file works on the Kindle.
Please note that you must have an account in the Clean Run store to purchase and access the download. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one when you check out. Once you have completed checkout, you can get your E-Book by going to your account download page, https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=access.download. For instructions on how to download the file to your personal computer and then transfer it to your reading device, please go to How Do I Load My E-Book to My Reading Device?
"Pam Dennison has done it again! She has written a fabulous book about training dogs that will benefit both the pet owner and novice or professional instructor. This in-depth volume bears Pam’s signature stamp of breaking tasks into small steps that make learning effective and fun for dog and human alike. When I think of Pam, I think of someone who really 'gets' dogs and who stands out in her ability to teach using practical, simple, realistic, and effective dog-friendly methods. This wonderful book is chock full of easy to follow approaches that work with family dogs, working dogs, high-performance dogs, and dogs with problems. It is precisely because of its practicality and comprehensiveness that I plan to use this book in my Animal-Assisted Play Therapy training program. This is an absolute must-read for everyone who trains their own or others’ dogs!" —Risë VanFleet, PhD, RPT-S, CDBC, Founder, The Playful Pooch Program, Author of the award-winning Play Therapy with Kids & Dogs and The Human Half of Dog Training: Collaborating with Clients to Get Results
"Wow! This book has it all. From basics and animal husbandry through to Premack and control games. If we had more well planned books like this in our stores there would be less problem dogs on our streets! Pamela does a great job of deciphering the science behind dog training in this user friendly guide to having a great dog!" —Nando Brown, IMDT, CAP2, FSG1, FFITT
I love how Pam makes the science and art of training a dog understandable for all caregivers. By using this book you will not only understand how your dog learns, but teach him step by step many important behaviours; from preparing him for vet visits to teaching him to walking on a loose lead. You can enhance the relationship you have with your dog and the relationship he has with you by reading this excellent book." —Chirag Patel, PG Cert (CAB), BSc(Hons), CPBC, DipCABT Animal Behaviour & Training Consultant
I just finished your new book from cover to cover, and started it again. You Can Train Your Dog: Mastering the Art & Science of Modern Dog Training, is a fantastically terrific book!!!!" Out of all my dog books, which range from free downloads from Amazon, to the Merck vet manual, yours is the best!
Covers all the basic cues, but also teaches you how dogs learn, and how to problem solve—all is included. You also have a great writing style that mesmerizes the reader to keep reading. Funny, engaging, and knowledgeable! I highly recommend this book to anyone wishing to train dogs. Professional or amateur! The only training book needed!!" —Tom Truppa
"I’m halfway through and really like the book! It’s reminded me of a few things I really should train on a more regular basis and reinforce more often. I also liked the different approach to loose leash walking. Nubi is now heeling perfectly! What I love about the book is that it is a good combination of catering to newcomers as well as to more experienced dog owners and trainers." —Katja M.
"Pam, I just want to let you know how much I am enjoying and learning from your newest book!! I can hardly put it down, and am having a blast using your techniques on my dogs and in my classes!! Thank You!" —Kathy Schwabe