Don't have a lot of space? Don't know what to train? Don't have the motivation or support you need to get to work?
"Backyard Training Matters" can help!
This weekly training group is a unique opportunity to improve your skills in a supportive, friendly environment—all while training in your backyard! And, if you work on your agility skills frequently at home, you will find that you make much faster progress toward your goals than if you only train once a week at class.
Each lesson takes challenges from an upper-level agility course (Masters, Premier, etc.) and replicates some of those challenges in an approximately 40' x 60' space. Your host, Brenna Fender, reviews, analyzes, and demonstrates some of the challenges with two dogs at different levels of training, and then offers you suggestions and support while you work on the "mini courses" using your own handling style and focusing on your own goals.
Everyone can post videos for accountability or for advice. This training group will not provide specific handling instruction, but it will offer suggestions, coaching, support, and lots of ideas of things to try that fit in a backyard space with limited equipment.
What is included with your registration?
- Every Wednesday, a lesson is released that includes eight mini-courses which can be numbered and re-numbered with minimal or no movement of obstacles. There is only one course build per week, but you get lots of training options! These short courses will replicate challenges found on upper-level courses in different agility organizations (you'll get to see the full course maps as well). You will also receive a demo video showing short training sessions of two dogs (an experienced Border Collie and a young Whippet who is just beginning training) on some of the mini-courses. You'll see mistakes and adjustments as well as the way the course is modified for the young dog (sometimes just to a one-obstacle training exercise).
- You can submit up to 2 minutes of video of yourself training on these mini-courses for review. You can submit videos for more than one dog as long as you stay within the time allotted.
- Every Monday, you'll get a "second chance" on the courses. If you submitted video in the main discussion thread, you can make handling adjustments and submit an additional 1 minute of video for further review. Or you can submit something new you did over the weekend for review instead.
- A discussion area where you can discuss agility topics and share encouragement and support with other students.
- Ability to post additional videos for accountability or just to share your successes in our "Checking In" thread each week.
- Access to all course materials on both mobile devices and your computer.
- Downloadable content for off-line access when you're out training.
- Keep what you buy—No expiring content; after the course ends, you won't be able to ask questions, but the content is still available to you.
This course is aimed toward novice, intermediate, and early advanced-level dogs and their handlers. Dogs should be able to safely perform low jumps (or a jump alternative like a hoop) and tunnels. They also should have been introduced to the table and six weaves to take advantage of all the exercises provided.
Equipment & space needed
- 6 jumps (or hoops), a tunnel, a table (or Klimb or other substitute), and 6 weave poles. However, if you have 4 jumps and a tunnel, or just 6 jumps, you will still find plenty to work on in this group.
- 40' x 60' training space. If you don't have that much space, you are still welcome and we will work together to find ways you can train the basics of these challenges in your available space.
How do I access my Learning Center purchase?
After you complete your purchase using your credit card or PayPal, you will receive 2 email confirmations: the first is a receipt acknowledging that your order has been received and the second email contains the link for your Clean Run Learning Center program. Just click on the link in the email to complete enrollment. If you already have a Learning Center account, then you will go directly to your educational program. If you do not, then you will enter your email address and a password to use for this Learning Center program and any future ones your purchase. Please be aware that this is a separate account you are establishing on https://cleanrunonline.com/home and it is not the same as your Clean Run website account (although you can use the same email and password for both accounts).
If you have a Clean Run website account, then you can also access your program at anytime by signing in at cleanrun.com and selecting Classes/Webinars from the My Account menu.
We offer a 90% refund for the class if you request a cancellation at least 5 days before the class begins AND the Premier spots have not already sold out. If the Premier spots are sold out, we cannot issue a refund unless we fill your spot.
"I loved this course. I didn't post anything, but I did set up and play with some of the mini courses. I plan to work on the rest during the summer. It was great to have exercises tailored to limited space and equipment. Besides having some useful things to practice, I appreciated Brenna's videos the most. It was instructive to see how she worked through problems with her dogs, and how she worked with the puppy. I learned more from this than I would have from seeing perfectly polished runs. The guest trainers were great too. Thank you, Brenna!" —J.G.
"I am looking forward to some private lessons and the next course. I wish I would have started the video posting earlier. Brenna your reviews were extremely worthwhile!" —P.W.
"Thanks for all your great feedback; so nice to have an extra watching and let me know the wheres, whats, and whys. It means so much. It’s nice to have it and play back the videos to see what your eye sees. Makes a lot of sense!" —D.B.
"I truly appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions! I have saved your feedback so I can go back and set up the courses again, read your suggestions, and run it again incorporating your suggestions." —C.N.