Cavaletti work is excellent for strengthening your dog's hind limbs, forelimbs, and core muscles. It also helps improve body awareness (proprioception), lengthens gait, and teaches collected balance. Besides getting stronger, the dog learns to use all four of his four legs in an efficient and coordinated manner, which helps with the dog's footwork in all facets of agility.
You need a minimum of 6 cavalettis for training and you can use up to 12 (even numbers only)
This kit includes everything you need to set up 3 complete cavalettis:
- 6 cones (3 purple and 3 lime green) with 3 height adjustments
- 3 collapsible, interlocking poles
The cones are 12" high and have holes in them so that you can set the poles at 2.5", 5.5", or 8.5". You can also lay the cones on the ground so the poles have no extra height. The poles are 36" long.
SHIPPING NOTE: This item must be shipped via UPS Ground service, which is only available in the continental US. This item cannot be sent to Alaska, Hawaii, APO, or FPO addresses, and it cannot be shipped to Canadian or overseas addresses. Please note that we can fit 2 sets of these sets in a box, which means we can offer a discount only when purchased in increments of 2.
- Use any even number of poles between 6 and 12.
- Start with the spacing between the poles set at your dog’s height at the withers; for example, if your dog is 18" tall at the withers, space the cavalettis 18" apart.
- Set the poles at a height that is no higher than half your dog’s hock height; for example, if your dog’s hock measures 6" from the ground, set the poles at 3" or lower.
Do up to 20 passes (a pass is one direction) through the poles; this is 1 set. You can do 3 to 5 sets, depending on your dog’s current level of fitness, with a rest between sets. There are a number of canine cavaletti exercises published on the Internet if you search for "caveletti work for dogs."