An open window on a warm day is not adequate to keep a vehicle cool enough to leave a dog. This amazing product is designed to allow greater airflow and ventilation by keeping the tailgate open but locked.
There are many times at trials, and during rest stops on the way to and from trials, that is convenient to leave your dogs in the car. But until now, for the security of your dogs and everything else in your vehicle, the only ventilation you could provide for them is leaving the windows cracked open. The Cool Dog Tailgate Lock allows more ventilation into your vehicle than just having the windows open, while at the same time allowing you to lock your vehicle in the normal way, using either your key or keyless locking device.
The Cool Dog Tailgate Lock works by fixing your rear door or tailgate in a semi-open position. Combined with a front window open just an inch or two, you'll have free-flowing air just where the dogs need it most—on their noses at the back of the vehicle. It takes only 10 seconds to install or remove the Tailgate Lock; no tools are required.
The Cool Dog Tailgate Lock is made from steel and then coated with a tough polymer-based epoxy polyester finish. It is incredibly strong and made to withstand a lifetime of hard use and all but the most determined thief.
Note: This product is designed exactly like the Ventlock that we sold previously.
Will the Cool Dog Tailgate Lock Fit My Vehicle?
The Cool Dog Tailgate Lock fits 99% of estate cars, hatchbacks, vans, and 4-wheel drive vehicles fitted with a rear door. The lock will fit your vehicle if it has a catch or post simliar to anything shown in these photos:
We are frequently asked whether the Cool Dog Tailgate Lock will work with your alarm system. It works on the majority of manufacturer-installed central locking and alarm systems, which means that you can use the Tailgate Lock and still lock and alarm the car. However, occasionally, some vehicles (usually those fitted with alarms after the car has been purchased) have sensors that do not allow you to leave any doors open. In this case, you would lock the car with the central locking and the Tailgate Lock in place, but not set the alarm.
- On some vehicles, such as full-size vans, there may be a manual latch on the rear doors to open the vehicle that will be accessible with the Cool Dog Tailgate Lock in place. In this event, be aware that the Tailgate Lock will not keep your vehicle secure from others entering it. However, if you frequently crate your dogs in your car at trials and don't required locked security, you may still find the Tailgate Lock useful for limiting what your dog sees. If you need locked security, however, you need to ensure that installing a Cool Dog Tailgate Lock does not allow access to any release catches, buttons, or handles from outside the vehicle.
- It's important to note that unlocking your car will only unlock the Cool Dog Tailgate Lock, it will not release it from the latch. You must lift/open your door handle to release the Tailgate Lock from its position.
What size Tailgate Lock do you need? Click on the Sizing tab above for advice on what size you should buy.
- As dog owners ourselves, we feel duty-bound to say that whatever method of ventilation or protection against sunlight you use for your dogs when they are in a parked car, there can be no substitute for checking your dog on a regular basis—even if they are in the shade. Do not leave pets unattended in a parked vehicle in direct sunlight even with your windows open.
- The Cool Dog Tailgate Lock is not suitable for use when the vehicle is moving or when the engine is running.
If the Cool Dog Tailgate Lock fits your vehicle, then all the sizes are available to you. There are no special sizes for different cars. If one fits, they will all fit. The choice comes down to how far open you want your rear door or hatchback to be. Ask yourself these questions before you make a decision:
- Are your dogs in a secure crate? If they are, you can have as big a gap with as much ventilation as you like.
- If your dogs are not in a secure crate, then you need to choose a Tailgate Lock that will not let your dog get out through the opening in your rear door or hatchback.
- If you want your vehicle to be secure, then you need to make sure the size of Tailgate Lock you select does not allow access to any release catches, buttons, or handles from outside the vehicle.
A simple test is to put your dogs in your vehicle and then open the back door or tailgate to create the size opening you are happy with and then measure that space and order accordingly.
Below are some other guidelines that may help you choose. Many people end up buying two different sizes so they have flexibility for different situations; for example, getting a 4" and a 9" Tailgate Lock is a popular choice.
- 4" – Ideal for uncrated small dogs or in cooler weather. When fitted to the tailgate or one of the rear doors of your vehicle, the amount of ventilation provided by the 4" Cool Dog Tailgate Lock is equal to that achieved by leaving all the windows of the vehicle one-third open. A good choice for the rear door of 4-wheel drive vehicles.
- 6" – Useful for uncrated larger dogs left for relatively short periods of time, such as a trip to the grocery store where leaving a window open might attract the attention of the opportunist thief. Along with the 4" model it is also an excellent choice for the rear door of 4-wheel drive vehicles.
- 9" – One of our most popular sizes. Good for uncrated medium to large breeds that will be unable to get through a 9" gap. Provides quite a bit more ventilation than the 4" or 6" Tailgate Lock.
- 12" – This is probably the largest model Tailgate Lock that you should use if you are not leaving your dogs in crates in the car. Circulates lots of air.
- 21" – For those of you who keep your dogs in a secure crate in the vehicle, the 21" Tailgate Lock provides the ultimate way to give your dogs access to free flowing air but have the peace of mind knowing that the tailgate cannot be opened or closed without your consent.
It takes the average person around 10 seconds to fit or remove a Cool Dog Tailgate Lock; no tools are required. Here's how to do it:
- Unwind the threaded hook a few turns and place it over the post or through the catch inside the car.
- Gently screw on the Tailgate Lock until it is firm but not overly tight.
- Close the door by pushing the latch mechanism onto the free end of the Tailgate Lock.
- The vehicle can now be locked in the normal way using the key or keyless remote.
To remove the Tailgate Lock, unlock the vehicle in the normal way and lift the handle or turn the key and gently pull open the door. The Tailgate Lock will automatically be released from the door latch.
IMPORTANT: It's important to note that unlocking your car will only unlock the Tailgate Lock, it will not release it from the latch. You must lift/open your door handle to release the Tailgate Lock from its position—unlock AND unlatch! We highly recommend watching the product demonstration video.