Author: Amanda Shyne, PhD
Length: 96 pages
Release Date: 2013
Training an independent stopped contact allows you, the handler, freer movement around the course, and the ability to get into position to cue upcoming challenges.
This book contains 59 training steps designed to be completed over 30 days to improve the specific skills that are critical to achieving a fast, reliable stopped contact performance:
- Speed: Your dog must enter the contact with speed and continue to stride over the contact until he moves into his target position.
- Control: Your dog must have the reinforcement history to make stopping in the target position more rewarding than running to the next obstacle.
- Target Position: Your dog must stride quickly into position without creeping or slowing down more than is physically necessary.
- Entries: Your dog must enter the contact safely and at an angle that allows him to maintain his speed over the entire piece of equipment.
- Exits: Your dog must maintain his target position until you verbally release him from the contact. In addition, your dog must understand verbal cues telling him to turn toward you and/or away from you at the contact exit.
By dissecting each aspect of your dog's performance, you can reward one specific behavior at a time; thereby helping you clarify to your dog how you want the entire piece of equipment completed.
If you have a new dog, start at step 1. But if you have a dog already competing and you are trying to improve your dog's speed over the contacts, for example, go through the book and review the training steps designed to improve speed. Or, if your dog needs a bit more self-control, complete the training steps designed to improve that one specific skill. In this way you will be able to customize a training plan tailored to you and your dog.
You can purchase this E-Book in your choice of the following formats:
- EPUB: This file works on the Nook, iPad, iPhone, Droid phones and tablets, Sony Bookreader, and other e-reader devices.
- MOBI: This file works on the Kindle.
Please note that you must have an account in the Clean Run store to purchase and access the download. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one when you check out. Once you have completed checkout, you can get your E-Book by going to your account download page, https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=access.download. For instructions on how to download the file to your personal computer and then transfer it to your reading device, please go to How Do I Load My E-Book to My Reading Device?