Author: Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT
Length: 296 pages
Release Date: 2012
Control Unleashed®: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog was written as a problem-solving book to help handlers with mature dogs that were having behavior problems during canine-sport training or competition. This book is different. Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program is meant as "preventive medicine" for puppy raisers. Many common behavior problems can be either prevented or minimized by starting a puppy with good foundation training from the beginning. In addition, this book provides a program that will help you create a puppy that is ready for sport-specific training at the appropriate age—a puppy with the ability to focus on whatever you want, for as long as you want, whenever you want.
"Paying attention" is its own skill set and teaching it should be separate from teaching your puppy more complex behaviors. Without attention, you won't get as far as you want with all those other behaviors you're going to teach because it's likely they will fall apart in the face of distraction. So it is wise to teach the attention skill set as the "base of operations" for your puppy training. The attention skill set includes: Discrimination skills, self-control skills, and arousal regulation skills.
The concepts and suggestions in this book can also be used for rescue dogs that, like puppies, are starting out as "blank slates" as far as your training is concerned.
E-Book Format: This E-Book is available as an EPUB file. This file works on the Kindle, Nook, iPad, iPhone, Droid phones and tablets, and other e-reader devices. It also works on a computer with a free E-Reader program such as Adobe Digital Editions.
Please note that you must have an account in the Clean Run store to purchase and access the download. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one when you check out. Once you have completed checkout, you can get your E-Book by going to your account download page, https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=access.download. For instructions on how to download the file to your personal computer and then transfer it to your reading device, please go to How Do I Load My E-Book to My Reading Device?
Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program contains the following chapters:
Section I: Overview
- Chapter 1: What Is Puppy Control Unleashed®?
- Chapter 2: Getting to Know Your Puppy
- Chapter 3: A Different Way to Think About Focus
Section II: Pre-requisites
- Chapter 4: An Ounce of Prevention: Reactivity
- Chapter 5: Before You Begin
- Chapter 6: Premack Principle
- Chapter 7: The Power of the Release Word
- Chapter 8: Give Your Puppy a Break
- Chapter 9: Leslie's Protocol for Food Arousal
- Chapter 10: Using Reinforcement Wisely: Pressure and Premack
- Chapter 11: Control vs. Cooperation
- Chapter 12: Attention is Just Another Behavior
- Chapter 13: Reassurance-seeking Behavior
- Chapter 14: Targeting
Section III: Key Concepts
- Chapter 15: Default Behaviors
- Chapter 16: Availability
- Chapter 17: Biofeedback
- Chapter 18: Shaping
- Chapter 19: Integrative Training
- Chapter 20: Economy of Energy
- Chapter 21: Bite Threshold Model
- Chapter 22: Transitioning
Section IV: Games and Exercises
- Chapter 23: Reorienting
- Chapter 24: Leave It
- Chapter 25: Whiplash Turn
- Chapter 26: Look at That!
- Chapter 27: Mat Work
- Chapter 28: Off-Switch Game
- Chapter 29: Give Me a Break Game
- Chapter 30: Parallel Games
- Chapter 31: Box Work
- Chapter 32: Puppy Ping-Pong
- Chapter 33: Watch the Distracted Handler
Section V: Conclusion
- Chapter 34: Managing Your Puppy in Classes and at Trials
- Chapter 35: Arousal Is Not Drive
- Chapter 36: Finding the Right Teacher When You're Ready for Agility Puppy Classes
- Chapter 37: Your Puppy Deserves a Custom Fit
- Chapter 38: Wrapping Up
- Recommended Resources