Authors: Marge Rogers, CBCC, CPDT-KA, CCUI, Certified Fear Free Professional and Eileen Anderson
Length: 225 pages
Release Date: 2021
Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It defines and demystifies the most important thing you can do for your puppy: socialization.
The authors don't just tell you what you need to know about socialization. They show you with dozens of photographs and exclusive linked videos (an Internet connection is needed to view the videos). You'll see other owners socialize their puppies under the guidance of a nationally certified dog trainer and behavior consultant. These real-life examples of socialization show you what to do when things go well and when they don't go so well.
They also specifically discuss socializing a sports/competition dog vs. a pet.
You’ll learn about:
- The magical time. Did you know that there is a special time in a puppy's life when he is primed to accept new things? The authors tell you when that time is, when that socialization window starts closing, and how a little effort by an owner during that time can save heartache later.
- Canine body language. Puppies and dogs are talking all the time—with their body language. Learn to tell when a puppy or dog is relaxed and happy, a bit nervous about something, or outright fearful.
- Myth-busting. There's a lot of advice out there about socialization and not all of it is good. Some common myths can actually cause a puppy harm. The authors give you the most up-to-date information on puppy socialization and put some harmful myths to rest.
- Socializing a puppy during COVID-19. Puppies have so much to get used to: people, environments, noises, and more. The authors provide strategies for keeping humans and puppies safe while socializing puppies, even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- What supplies are needed during socialization. The authors provide checklists of things owners need when socializing a puppy at home and away from home.
The authors teamed up to share this information with readers because most people don't know exactly what socialization is or how to do it. And both of them see the fallout of socialization gone wrong all the time. Rogers and Anderson each bring their own perspective to this groundbreaking work. Rogers is certified through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers as a Dog Trainer and also a Behavior Consultant. She specializes in behavior modification for fearful and aggressive dogs and the prevention of fear and aggression through socialization. Anderson is an award-winning writer who is passionate about giving owners accurate information so they can make informed training choices. Together they created this unique, visual guide of the realm of puppy socialization. Every reader will learn something new.
E-Book Format: This E-Book is available in muliple formats. You will be able to choose which to download after you complete your purchase:
- EPUB: This file works on the Kindle, Nook, iPad, iPhone, Droid phones and tablets, and other e-reader devices. It also works on a computer with a free E-Reader program such as Adobe Digital Editions.
- PDF: This file can be read with Acrobat Reader on your computer or transferred to a reader that can use PDF files.
Please note that you must have an account in the Clean Run store to purchase and access the download. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one when you check out. Once you have completed checkout, you can get your E-Book by going to your account download page, https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=access.download. For instructions on how to download the file to your personal computer and then transfer it to your reading device, please go to How Do I Load My E-Book to My Reading Device?
"This book is a great resource for any new pet parent. The information is based in the most up-to-date evidence-based science of behavior and learning. It is also presented in an upbeat and easy-to-understand manner, with a healthy dose of real-world stories that helps the reader connect with the authors. If more people read this book and do what it advises, there will be more happy, well-adjusted dogs on the planet, and that’s about the greatest future I can imagine" —Dr. Sara Bennett, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
"This is the most definitive resource on all things Socialization that you could ever ask for." —Leslie McDevitt, renowned behavior consultant, trainer, and author of the Control Unleashed series of books and DVDs
"I’m hopeful that this book will be widely read, and its advice followed. It’s the perfect resource for everyone who has anything to do with raising well-adjusted, happy puppies, and its publication is good news all around." —Dr. Karen London, dog behaviorist and author of Treat Everyone Like a Dog
"Up until now, a comprehensive guide to this essential task has been lacking. Your puppy deserves the best start in life. This book allows you to provide it!" —Dr. Alanna Lowry, veterinarian and nationally ranked dog agility competitor
"Marge and Eileen’s new book satisfied my love of learning. With equal parts compassion and expertise, their book offers accessible insight to a topic crucial to the well-being of dogs and their families. Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It is the perfect tool for anyone with a love for dogs and those who care about the human-animal bond. I can’t wait to incorporate this resource into staff training at our veterinary hospital." —Dr. Cathy Kreis, DVM, Medical Director, Appalachian New River Veterinary Associates